Sunday, August 2, 2009

My aunt's no-fry schnitzel

Canola or vegetable oil
2 onions
One large package of chicken cutlets (works with white or dark- no need to flatten in any way)
Italian dressing
Matza Meal
Seasoned bread crumbs


Pour oil into two baking pans, enough to very thinly cover the bottoms. Slice the onions and cover the bottoms of the pans with them.

Put Italian dressing in one bowl and mix together matza meal and seasoned bread crumbs in the other (if your Italian dressing in highly seasoned, you can use plain breadcrumbs). Dip each cutlet into dressing and then into matza meal/bread crumbs. Lay on top of the onions in the pan.

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, then flip cutlets (I use a fork or tongs so I don't scrape off the crust). Bake another 20 minutes. Serve with the onions.

Notes: The outside "crust" won't be crispy, but soft, and it's very juicy. Also, this recipe freezes VERY well.

1 comment:

MusingMaidel said...

Thanks so much for contributing!! I can't wait to try this one out. If anyone else wants to submit recipes, email me at musingmaidel@gmail.com and I'll invite you as an author.